Friday, March 28, 2008

A Few Notes

So far we're having fun being two!

New realizations: candy, cake, juice and PRESENTS! And they keep coming. Everyone has been overly kind to our little one and I think she has been sufficiently spoiled that it' s going to be difficult to recover. She now expects a new package in the mail every other day and after it is opened she asks, "Open it again Mommy." I usually oblige, one time only, packaging up the surprise again and letting her do the honors once more.

Beyond that she continues to be the chatter bug. Her vocabulary grows each day as does her grasp on the English language. A few months ago I considered her putting 3 or 4 words together as making sentences, but now she is really making sentences. When Daddy said at dinner last night, "I like broccoli." The little munchkin responded with, "I like broccoli too." She even hit the voice inflection and accented the "too" by bringing her tone up a few notes.

She's been saying all sorts of funny and cute things. A few nights ago, our family of three ended up on the couch together enjoying the Apple TV screen saver and at one point the little one says, "Who's that cute baby?" Hhmm, who do you think?

There is a bit of maturing that has happened at two, to my great pleasure. She is better at staying within a manageable distance in public places instead of just taking off to whatever shiny thing is in eye shot. We were at the mall, with plenty of distractions in every direction and she stayed within five feet of me and when I called her or asked her to stay near, she responded accordingly. It may sound fairly trivial, but lest us not underestimate the value of a simple concept.

With the age of two comes the attitude as well. Let's just say it's not my most favorite thing but we work on it...daily, minute by minute. Many of those minutes being apologetic and confined to time out. I must remind myself that the rewards will come in the future. Be tough now and it will pay off in spades down the line. The reality is, every age has it's own challenges and how you respond to them will mold the little tyke into the adult they will become.

I pray it's a good one!

2 comments:

Holly said...

It's already paying off Marci. She's such a good girl.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Lynne said...

Oh Momma! You are a model mommy that I can only hope to aspire to emulate. I'm not even sure if I spelled that right!?! Serena - can you check for me?

You are a great mommy - thanks for being such a wonderful friend and valuable resource. Much love to you, the munchkin, the ditchman and that baby in your belly.