Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Day To Day

If there is anybody with great potty training advice, bring it on. This is a hot subject around the house and not because the big people are pushing it.

A few months ago, the little one got very interested in using the "potty" but that was a fleeting phase like the rest of them. Then it was an obstinate "NO" at the mention of the toilet. It was obvious from her face that she was thinking, "Why would I do that when I have this perfectly good (and expensive) diaper at the ready whenever I get "the feeling", as Elmo says. So I canned the idea of early potty training and decided that she would let me know when she is ready.

So, she is back to flirting with using the potty, but I know better. She has yet to actually ask to go and make it happen. We, I mean she, successfully uses the toilet every night before bath so I know she's capable. The honest truth is I dread this inevitable life transition as it is as much trauma for the parent as is for the child. I'm not prepared to familiarize myself with every acceptable, semi-clean public restroom within a ten mile radius of the house and I most certainly will not carry a portable john in the car. I will continue to let the little one lead the way and I'm sure when she is truly ready, diaper-free we will be. I expect it to be at least another 8 months away so I will be sure to have future posts on the subject. You have been forewarned.

Of more interest, the little tyke is showing herself to be quite social. Who knew? We were at the park yesterday and when she saw a couple boys playing on another play structure, she pointed and said, "kids, yea kids." Then she ran over to the oblivious little boys and said, "hi guys." Although her presence was not acknowledged nor greeting returned, she watched and laughed as the boys continued their play. It was cute. So is her needing to bring a toy/baby/stuffed animal with her every time we walk out of the house to go somewhere. This morning it was her Christmas ornaments that never made it back to the attic, or as she calls them "decorations." I'm sure they were stoked at Jazzercise when we walked in with a handful of stuff for them to be responsible for, as if 20 kids wasn't enough.

But that's what being one is all about.

4 comments:

SeanH said...

She's the best Mommy ever and I'll fight you on it if you disagree.

Lynne said...

Potty training advise, you ask? I'm still trying to train Jonathan not to pee in the closet...good grief.

matt said...

Don't they have those tweenner pants? I don't know. -Holly

matt said...

btw: I like the new clean green and blue look on the blog. -Holly