Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Routinely Speaking

The little one is sleeping contently, right on schedule. Wednesdays are busy mornings for us. Out of the house before 8am and off to my workout/baby babysitting(playtime), a quick errand and on to baby gymnastics class, a few more errands and home in time for 11:30 nap. Routine is very important to her. She finds happiness in knowing what to expect next and having a good amount of predictability in her life. I think there is a lesson to be learned here as this is obviously an insight to our human nature. Predictability equals contentment.

There was a period in my life where I changed jobs and residences as though I were in a bad witness protection program. Family and friends offered funny comments but we're secretly voicing concern to one another. I believed they feared I wouldn't be a desirable candidate because I switched jobs, and industries so often. Her future is doomed, and she had so much potential. "Hey, I'm smarter than that," I would smugly reply. "I never quit a job without having accepted another offer elsewhere." This is pretty normal stuff, post-college, as you find your way in this life. One thing is for sure, I was not any happier selling tv advertising than power tools or branded coffee mugs.

Life is much simpler now, however more complicated. I enjoy just being at home with my family and knowing we will all sit on the couch every morning and have our daily beverage of choice before we go off our seperate ways for the days agenda. Chasing the next best thing left me always wanting and never enjoying the best thing I already have.

The little ones understand this better than anyone. As long as mommy and daddy are both in the room, their world is complete. Not saying that she doesn't enjoy new and exciting things. You should have seen her face the first time she saw the Beluga whales at Sea World....priceless. The new expriences and thrills are great, as long as they don't interfere with the routine too much, too often and for too long.

1 comment:

matt said...

I DID see her face in front of the Beluga Whales! So cute and astonished. I loved watching her get more comfortable with the pup this weekend when we were saying goodbye. New things. Adorable.
-Holly