Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Let's Not Roll Out the Red Carpet Yet

Do we choose our careers or do they just happen to us? And if they just happen to us, why are we so passive as to let such a significant aspect of our life "just happen"? I suppose it's both, and shouldn't be stated so simply. I can't help but think that if my parents had just nurtured my natural aptitude as a receiver in the flag football league, maybe I would have become the first female in the NFL.

Going into this parenting stuff, I had lots of opinions about how it should be done. Some I still hold to and live by with the little one, some I obviously had no idea what I was thinking, and others I still feel strongly about, but have accepted that I must choose my battles. I do still believe that I have some responsibility in recognizing and encouraging the natural talents that someday may present themselves in the little one. These abilities may in fact lead to her being able to choose a career path to get excited about. Yes, it sounds silly making such a statement seeing as she is only ONE year old, but if she shows an affinity to all things animal, I'm going to make an effort to expose her to wildlife. Paraphrasing Dennis Prager, "You're not raising a toddler, you're raising an adult."

One of the little one's newest words is "movie" but it really sounds more like "buh-dee". This has been one of her most enthusiastic words yet. From the moment she gets up, its "buh-dee" "peess" "peess". She climbs up in Daddy's chair and points at his computer screen "buh-dee". From her perspective, this is where the magic happens, this is where the movies are made. Daddy, a much-loved filmmaker, spends countless hours in front of his computer making fantastic shorts. If the little one is lucky, he lets her help. So I ask myself, will she continue in the paternal footsteps and desire to please audiences through visual storytelling or is this the normal manifestation of a child's obsession with television? Do I encourage her by letting her watch Daddy's camp movies over, and over, and over again? Will she be intolerably vain if she watches herself being cute one more time? At least these are actual real life people and places. Not like Elmo.

I'm leaning towards moderation. You never know, she may become a great film director who receives worldwide praise and accolades, or she may be a silly salesperson or contractor who spends her evenings putting together fun nostalgic films to entertain her loved ones. Either way, it's a win!

1 comment:

matt said...

Oh Marci, I love reading your posts. Even though I am w/o child, this subject in the child rearing is one that I think about a lot! It's a fine line. How young to encourage what? What is a gift, and what is just an interest... TRICKY!!! We could talk for a long time about it. You guys will be greatat recognizing the little one's talents. I know it. -Holly